Flanders Mansion Walk
tour here is a peak at some backgound.
esert ecology and one of the first botanists to research chlorophyll. In 1906 he became the Director of Botanical Research at the Carnegie Institution in Washington, D.C. By 1909, he had established a coastal botanical lab for the Carnegie Institue in Carmel, California and became known as an expert on the Monterey pine. The coastal laboratory was established at Junipero and Twelfth and remained in operation until the early 1940’s. During Dr. MacDougal’s tenure at the Carnegie Institute in Carmel, he purchased 80 acres of land adjacent to Mr. Hatton’s property.
80 Acres from MacDougal
Paul and Grace Flanders who married in 1920 came to Carmel in 1922 to build a home and start a business in real estate development. They initially purchased 80 acres of land from Grace’s friend Dr. MacDougal of the Carnegie Institute, and proceeded to build their home on a portion of this property immediately adjacent to Hatton’s land.
The Flander’s were one of the first Carmelites to hire an outside professional architect to design their residence, which they named “Outlands,” due to its secluded location high on a raised hill overlooking the Carmel Mission, Point Lobos and the sea beyond.
Henry Higby Gutterson the supervising architect for the first subdivision in northern California, the St. Francis Woods development in San Francisco, was hired to build “Outlands.” Trained at the University of California, Berkeley and at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris, Gutterson was the perfect designer for “Outlands” which Flanders planned on using as a model home for future residences of a Carmel subdivision he would develop.
Carmel Land Company
233 Acres from Hatton
25800 Hatton Road
Outlands, or Flanders Mansion as it is commonly called, is a Tudor Revival English cottage of 8,000 square feet, 5,559 of which are developed livable space, seven bedrooms, five bathrooms, a basement and carriage house.
When Paul and Grace built Outlands, the location was exactly as its name suggests, outside, far from the main living area of town. Not so by today’s standards, but in 1925 it would take the Carmel Fire Department (once notified which was another matter all together) quite some time to get their Luverne engine to Outlands.
The Flanders’ had previously been victims of a house fire. The home they rented in Pebble Beach while bulding Outlands was completely destroyed by a fire in February of 1925. This may have been one of the reasons that Thermotite, manufactured by the Carmel Thermotite Company was used in building this home.
According to “Ask Otey – He Knows,” Pine Cone January 1925, “Carmel Thermotite is fireproof, waterproof and practically everlasting.”
In a form to the United States Department of the Interior submitted in 1989 for nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, Outlands was described as an “impressive example of the mature work of noted San Francisco architect Henry Higby Gutterson. Gutterson employed a cavity-walled building sytstem of precast interlocking concrete blocks locally produced…The constuction of this cavity wall system is unique to its California location. The residence and its park-like setting retain to a remarkable extent their integrity as designed by architect Gutterson…The Paul Flanders Mansion, Outlands, is significant under National Register Eligibility Criteria C as the work of a prominent architect employing an innovative method of constuction…currently the only known example of Gutterson’s work in the region…”Outlands” retains to a remarkable degree both its context and integrity as originally constructed in 1924-25.”
This two story residence constructed of light grey Thermotite cement blocks rests solidly on a full concrete foundation with a partial basement. Melanie points out, “When you walk around the house you will see next to no cracks and it has gone through many earthquakes. This thing is practically fireproof and seismic proof. So when you read something that says the house if falling down, it isn’t. It is in very good conditon for not having any TLC since the city bought it in 1972.”
The roof is steeply pitched with intersecting gables capped with Gladding McBean & Company’s “Berkeley” trough ceramic tiles fired in a russet color and laid irregularly. Flashing, still beautiful today, is copper and lead.
There are two principal entries. One is located facing the circular driveway.
The second, which is actually the front entrance (shown above), is located on the other side of the house facing what is now the edge of a Monterey Pine forest. “When the Flanders first bought this property the trees were about two feet tall,” Melanie explains, “they had an incredible view.”
Paul and Grace Flanders had one child together, Barry, who died at 11 years of age in 1933 “after waging an heroic battle to recover from an illness that began five weeks earlier,” the Pine Cone reported March 31, 1933. His foot prints and initials are impressed on the top of the cement steps leading to the basement.
covered in vines on the second floor.
Paul Flanders was a retired Navy officer. Melanie explained, “during the First World War he was in charge of submaries in the North Atlantic. After World War II broke out he reenlisted in the Navy and was sent to oversee the possibility of Japanese submarines off the west coast. He was away from the mansion a lot during those years, back and forth to San Francisco and Washington DC. In 1944 he was in DC and died of a heart attack. He never came back to the mansion. Grace lived here by herself, much of the time not very well, until her death in 1967.”
In 1972, the Flanders heirs agreed to sell the property, 14.9 acres to the City of Carmel for $275,000. This along with the 17.5 acre $125,000 Doolittle property the City had also purchased would become the Mission Trail Nature Preserve.
The pantry off the kitchen has a pink and green flower pattern stenciled on the built-in cupboards, possibly a remnant left over from the Designers Showcase in 1994.
Built-in’s were popular – here you can see the shoe holder on the back of the door to the closet and a peak of the chest of drawers inside the closet of one of the seven bedrooms.
In the Footsteps of the Padres
Flanders Mansion Walk – Part I
Map of Ranchos – Jack H. Moffett from Monterey County The Dramatic Story of Its Past by Augusta Fink
Hattons Fields 1921 – Land that Paul Flanders Purchased in 1925 – Picture credit Pat Hathaway Collection
Map from article – City Buys Flanders Estate Pine Cone August 24, 1972
Pictures from Pine Cone October 9, 1994