Cottages Gardens and Cantatas, House Tour, http://schemas.google.com/blogger/2008/kind#post

Carmel Bach Festival Cottages, Gardens & Cantatas – Part 2 – May 2, 2015

Braemar House
2 SE of Ninth on San Antonio  


According to the current owners, Anna Osborne bought the lot on San Antonio in 1916 from the Carmel Development Company. The first house built on the property is said to have been built by M. J. Murphy around 1921.

The earliest record I found on file at City Hall was for a building permit from February 1932.  The owner of record at the time was Winifred O. Brown a relative of the current owners.  Mrs. Brown hired Carmel resident Al Stoney to make renovations to her property. In 1937, she asked Mr. Stoney to add a 5 by 4 foot bathroom to her expanding board and batten cottage.  The estimated cost, $300.00.  


Over the years Braemar has undergone additions and subtractions – In the living and dining room, the original 90+ year old redwood shines!      
          

The original tub in the master bath has been re-purposed as charming garden art.

Under the shade of the over 100 year old Buckeye tree in the backyard is a bench commissioned for the owners’ 50th wedding anniversary celebration by artist Albert Guibarra. Oski looks so peaceful. 

As a Palo Alto native I have two fight songs battling it out in my head –  “All Right  Now” (Stanford) and “Big C” (Cal). 

The last two houses of the day are in the Carmel Point area.  


The Love Family Home
 26363 Isabella Avenue 

Henry F. Dickinson was born in St. Louis, Missouri in 1873. He obtained a law degree from Harvard and practiced law in Chicago until 1922.  At age 48 he decided to retire because he decided his law practice prevented him from fully enjoying life with his family.  

After a year living in Woodstock, New York, Mr. Dickinson brought his wife Edith and their family to Carmel, the community he felt would give them the best life.  In 1923, he purchased land in the undeveloped area of Carmel Point and hired M. J. Murphy to build his home.  

Henry and Edith Dickinson became an integral part of Carmel.  They helped organize the Carmel Music Society with Henry being the organizations first treasurer and Edith one of the first presidents.  Over the years they organized a 40 piece children’s orchestra for Carmel.


The current owners, the Love Family, ran Love Antiques and Interiors on Dolores Street in the 1970’s.  The family has beautifully maintained the home and gardens,  


adding a swimming pool in 1973 and a bath and dressing room in 1979. 

The Cooperman Home 
26369 Carmelo Street 

The final stop of the tour is the spectacular ultra modern home on the edge of the Carmel River Wetlands State Park. The 40 minute wait to get inside –  worth it. 

When the Cooperman’s purchased this property 27 years ago, it was a simple ranch home.  In 2009 they hired local architect David Martin to do a complete remodel.  The one surviving feature from the old property is the majestic mayten tree in the front yard. 
The glass and stone, steel-framed home has many architectural features.
Immediately inside the glass entry is an atrium with reflecting pool. 


The stainless steel and bronze sculpture is by artist Archie Held.  

A steel “wave” made with individual blades
begins in the atrium, 

flows through the living room to the back patio. 

                                          
Floor to ceiling glass allow for an unfettered view of the wetlands and highlands. 


The grounds of the Cooperman Home which appears to seamlessly connect to the wetlands, was designed by Carmel landscape architect Michelle Comean


Many thanks again to the Carmel Bach Festival for this wonderful home and garden tour.  Make sure to check out the 78th Season of the Carmel Bach Festival starting July 18, 2015.  

Here are some video highlights of the 2015 tour. 



___ 

To view a map of the homes featured in this blog, please visit this link.

Photography by L. A. Momboisse 

Standard
Cottages Gardens and Cantatas, House Tour, http://schemas.google.com/blogger/2008/kind#post

Carmel Bach Festival Cottages, Gardens & Cantatas – Part 1 – May 2, 2015

Dene Denny and Hazel Watrous, musical producers and owners of the Dene-Watrous Gallery, believed that Carmel-by-the-Sea should be the epicenter of world-class music, art and cultural expression.  In 1935 they set out to make their dream a reality by founding the Carmel Bach Festival

The festival began as a four-day concert series at the Sunset School Auditorium and the Carmel Mission.  This year, in its 78th Season, the Carmel Bach Festival will feature 38 concerts, 154 musicians and 34 free events!


On May 2nd the Carmel Bach Festival, following in the creative footsteps of their founders Denny and Watrous, held their second Cottages, Gardens and Cantatas, featuring five homes and gardens in Carmel-by-the-Sea and the Carmel Point area. Each home, venue, entertained us with live music! The first stop, The Hess Home.


The Hess Home 

NE Corner Torres and 11th 

This impressive estate on 1 1/2 acres sits just outside the 11th Street entrance to Mission Trails Park. The stucco, Spanish Eclectic style, house was built 1925 for Col. Henry L. Watson.

A graduate of West Point in 1907, Col. Watson became a skilled pilot.  He led the first flight over the Sierra Nevada and instituted the aerial patrols of the National Forests during World War I.

After retiring in 1922, Col. Watson came to Carmel with his wife, Eleanor “Nell” Ewing, and their children and took up residence in the home on Torres and 11th.  In 1927 the family moved to Twenty-nine Palms and another military family occupied the house.

In 1948 the property was sold to Countess Claude deKinnoull.  The Countess was born Enid Hamilton-Fellows, only child of Ernest Gaddesden Fellows and Margaret Hamilton Wills a wealthy British family.  Margaret’s father was Sir Frederick Wills, one of the founders of The Imperial Group, one of the world’s largest tobacco companies.   

Enid Hamilton-Fellows acquired her title Countess when she married George Hay the 14th Earl of Kinnoull (Scotland) in 1923.  The marriage lasted only four years and she never remarried.  


While she was studying art in Spain, the Countess became a supporter of General Francisco Franco.  She traveled with General Franco, filming his press reports, as he led the Nationalists to victory over the Spanish Republic during the Spanish Civil War in 1939.


During World War II the Countess worked with the British and French secret service to expose Communist agents.  When Germany invaded France, she used her relationship with Franco, now the leader of Spain, to attain passage to the United States in 1940.  

The Countess was drawn to the artist community of Carmel and made it her final home.  She lived in the Spanish style home at Torres and 11th from 1948 until her death in 1985. During her time in Carmel she served on the board of the Monterey County SPCA, was an active member of the Carmel Art Association, and fought against the commercialization of Carmel at Council meetings.  

The Hess family purchased the property in 1994 and have continued to restore the house and gardens.  Keeping with the interesting backgrounds of the owners of this house, Ken Hess created Family Tree Maker which is now part of ancestry.com.    

Our tour begins just outside the gate.  


Inside the gate the garden is in full bloom.

It is difficult to capture the grandeur, 


style, and beauty of this home with one picture. 

The courtyard features a tranquil fountain,


conversational sitting area 
and warm fireplace.
Every garden pot contains a whimsical feature. 

Fourteen year old Max Afifi played the Hess family
 grand piano for our enjoyment.  

The dining table base is made out of 


the wishing well formerly located in the front garden. 



Spectacular gardens feature hybrid tea roses surrounding a small version of the fountain from the Carmel Mission courtyard,

  
a stately Norfolk Island Pine,

the “Tilted Column” sculpture by Albert Paley,  

other sculptures,

a serene pond with fountain,

and a “tree of life” mosaic believed to have been made by the Countess herself. The mosaic was originally over the fireplace in the living room but was moved to just outside the back gate.


The next house on the tour, Carrickmacross, is five blocks south on Lincoln Avenue.

 Carrickmacross
2 SW of 13th on Lincoln 



Carrickmacross cottage sits behind a hedge of perfectly manicured ivy arches. The name Carrickmacross (Irish: Carraig Mhachaire Rois, meaning “rock of the wooded plain”) was the village in County Monaghan, Ireland where the current owners father was raised. 

The patio stonework, done by Martin Guetierrez, extends the entertainment area seamlessly from indoor to out.

A rabbit mural painted by local artist Cary Crockett
 is above the fireplace mantle.  
The Wurlitzer baby grand piano has been in the family for generations.  It was purchased from a convent in Southern California.  During the Bach House Tour, Cailyn Schmidt played Italian composer Giuseppe Scarlatti’s Sonata E Major K380.


Next Up: Carmel Bach Festival Cottages, Gardens & Cantatas Part 2

The following video shows highlights of the 2nd Annual Bach Festival House Tour. 

To view a map of the homes featured in this blog, please visit this link.  

___Pictures
Dene Denny and Hazel Watrous – Photo courtesy of the Harrison Library Local History Room.
Aerial photograph courtesy of homeowners of The Hess House.
Photo from 1985 for the entrance to The Hess property – Courtesy of the homeowners of The Hess House.
Photo of the wishing well in the front garden – Courtesy of the homeowners of The Hess House.
All the rest of the photos by L. A. Momboisse.


Standard
Carmel, Cottages Gardens and Cantatas, House Tour, http://schemas.google.com/blogger/2008/kind#post

Carmel Bach Festival – Cottages, Gardens & Cantatas 2014 – Mission Orchard House & Le Papillon

Dene Denny and Hazel Watrous, musical producers and owners of the Dene-Watrous Gallery, believed that Carmel-by-the-Sea should be the epicenter of world-class music, art and cultural expression.  In 1935 they set out to make their dream a reality by founding the Carmel Bach Festival

The festival began as a four-day concert series at the Sunset School Auditorium and the Carmel Mission.  Now in its 77th Season, the Carmel Bach Festival features over 75 performances and free community events at 12 locations around Monterey Peninsula.  


This year the Carmel Bach Festival held their inaugural Carmel Bach Festival Home and Garden Tour in May, featuring three gardens and three homes in the Carmel-by-the-Sea and Carmel Point area.  Many sites offered live classical music performed by musicians from the Festival’s Young Musician Concert.  Our first stop, Mission Orchard House.

 Mission Orchard House 
3100 Rio Road 



Many of us pass the Mission Orchard House daily while driving along Rio Road, but few have the opportunity to go behind the gate to visit the extraordinary casita garden and view what is considered the oldest residential dwelling in California.

There are two main houses on the property, one built of adobe and one of wood. The two structures, c. 1929, (adobe left, wood right) are seen in the picture below.

                              

Though this property has a facinating history, this post will concentrate on the structures and garden in their present state.  


Just inside the gate stands a very old cork oak tree.  A native of Western Europe, namely Spain and Portugal, this oak may have been planted by Fr. Palou at the same time he planted the pear orchard next to the mission in 1774. 
               

The cork oak forms a thick bark that may be harvested every 9 to 12 years.  The harvesting does not hurt the trees, some of which can live for up to 250 years. 

The adobe wall shown in the picture above was part of the original orchard wall built in 1774 to surround Fr. Palou’s pear orchard.  Today this wall is the north wall of the adobe living room, giving this adobe casita the distinction of being considered the oldest residential dwelling in California.               


In 1812 mission records show that a lean-to was built against the orchard adobe wall to provide housing for the mission orchardist and caretaker. 

Over the years the lean-to would grow to double its original size. 

In 1921 Carmel Mission pastor Father Ramon Mestres hired Jo Mora to restore the adobe house. 


Joe Mora’s paintings decorate the walls.


Mora hired stonemason Juan Martoral to build the large field-stone chimney into an addition to the north wall of the living room.


In the 1920’s the adobe house would be opened as a tea house by Carmel’s second mayor and first female mayor, Eva DeSalba. 

Adjacent to the adobe,


the second house on the property, the pink wood structure, was originally built by squatters beginning in 1850.  
              

Legend claimed that the house was built on piers of whalebone vertebrae.  In 1996 when the house was restored, this was proved to be true.

As I walked the gardens, the tranquil sounds of the cello, played by high school freshman Robert Percell, filled the air. 


The various owners of this property have added to the gardens over the years. An uneven brick walkway leads past a ramada for al fresco dinning.


The gardens are overflowing with flora in every direction. 


Acanthus, 



pride of Madeira, and


bird of paradise.

Variety of roses, 
citrus, 
 flowering aloe vera,
and prickly pear cactus.
In 1976, antique dealer Harry Lewis Scott purchased the property and decorated the home and garden with museum worthy antiques.  
He even incorporated pieces of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, damaged in the Loma Prieta Earthquake of 1989, into the garden.
In the mid 1990’s, Mr. Scott sold the property which had come to be known as “Mission Orchard House,” to the Monterey Diocese.  He maintained a life estate on the property and after his passing in 2011, the Mission Orchard House property became part of the Diocese of Monterey.  The Diocese is currently investigating what must be done to preserve and restore this important piece of our history.

Le Papillon 
25091 Hatton Road 



Our next property, Le Papillion, is owned by Brenda and David Mauldwin.  Brenda runs a garden design and consulting company, The Window Box. 


Her creative touch appears throughout. From wine bottle oil lamps which illuminate the property at night, 


to the large spirit nest, a memorial to the homes previous owner, Brenda’s love of whimsy is everywhere.


As I tour the garden, recorded mandolin music of Mike Marshall and Caterina Lichtenberg accompany my walk. Enjoy this video of Le Papillon gardens.

Next up, an artist’s dream home, The House with the Red Gate and Cimarron a home with lovely Carmel Beach view. 
Part 2 The House with the Red Gate and Cimarron
Part 3 Rivermouth and Winton Garden
___
Credits 

All photos and video by L. A. Momboisse http://www.carmelbytheseaca.blogspot.com except those listed below:

– Black and white of adobe and wood house taken after 1921. (Kent Seavey, Images of America Carmel A History in Architecture, (Arcadia Publishing, 2007) p.17

– Black and white photo from 1929 – the Mission Tea House. Photo used with permission from Casa Q Events. Casa Q Events planned the dinner at Orchard House given in honor of the 300th anniversary of the birth of Blessed Father Junipero Serra. 




Standard