La Von E. “Lee” Gottfried was born on a farm in Ohio, July 12, 1896. Educated to the high school level, he began his business career with Pacific Telephone Company. In June of 1917, Lee Gottfried enlisted in the United States Army serving in the Signal Corps in France where he was in charge of telephone and telegraph construction. In 1919 he was honorably discharged having attained the rank of first lieutenant.
In 1920 Lee came to Carmel and began work as a general contractor. One of his first commissions was the construction of Edward Kuster‘s stone house at the intersection of Ocean View and Bay View on Carmel Point.
Gottfried and Kuster were familiar with medieval European architecture – it is Lee Gottfried (along with Kuster) who are credited with the transformation of the Ocean Avenue business district from a Western “false front” (Carmel Bakery) to the Old World charm of a European village (Court of the Golden Bough).
After arriving in Carmel, Lee met Miss Bonnie Hale, a native of Berkeley who had lived in Carmel since 1906. They married and in 1921 Gottfried built his family a home on the east side of Dolores, south of Thirteenth. The family lived there until 1941.
Windows, diamond pattern with leaded glass.
was added to the south east elevation.
is a cozy room with rounded ceilings and original fireplace.
Julia Morgan was born January 20, 1872. She was the first woman to receive a degree in engineering at U. C. Berkeley, the first woman to complete course work in architecture at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris, and the first woman architect licensed in California. She designed nearly 800 buildings, the most famous being Hearst Castle.
In 1940 Ms. Morgan built this home on Franciscan Way for her friend from U. C. Berkeley, Dr. Emma Whitman Pope. Before retiring to Carmel, Dr. Pope was a general practitioner who had been married to Dr. Saxton Pope, a surgeon at Watsonville Hospital, until his death in 1926.
While Ms. Morgan built this house, she was staying at her own studio-cottage in Monterey, and she walked the five miles to Carmel and back to supervise the construction, saying that she “needed the practice in walking” after a bout of labyrinthitis. (1)
The Pope House, built in Minimum Traditional style, features a large window in the living area that overlooks the Carmel Mission.
In 2011 the current owners renovated the 1960’s addition, going to great lengths to make the original house and the renovation appear seamless, matching all flooring, wall, and window materials as closely as possible.
The space from the old third bedroom is now a beautiful and spacious master,
The first off the laundry room.
a charming stone fire pit.
28987 Mission Street
with a dramatic triangular shaped window,
the current owner has transformed the property into a tropical oasis
tucked around the property –
Google map of location of houses may be viewed here.
(1) Boutelle, Sara Homes, Julia Morgan Architect (Abbeville Press: Revised Edition, August 1, 1995)
Photos by L. A. Momboisse